Sunday, July 1, 2007

Dave 8 - Chipmunks 0

Chipmunks. So cute and furry. They tore up my wife's garden, and as a result 5 of them have lost their lives. I didn't start this war, but I will finish it. The chipmunks have ate dozens of bulbs, several hostas and I don't know the names of all the other plants that have been destroyed. This not only makes my wife unhappy, this means we need to spend more money to replace these plants. And I won't mention the damage done to the bird feeders, and the quantity of birdseed ate.

So I finally got to a point where we needed to take action. I ordered a couple of Havaheart traps, but Mom shared with me the 'right way' to get'em. A bucket of water, and some seed. You fill the bucket half full, put some seed in the bucket, then just wait for the curious bugger to go after the seed. They drown. Now, I don't find this funny, and I don't like killing anything, and I wish I could just talk to the chipmunks and ask them to leave I would. But I never leaned chipmunk in school. I took Latin. Semper Ubi Sub Ubi!

I'm not a complete heathen. I've relocated 3 chipmunks to the other side of the river using the havaheart trap. There are a total of 8 less chipmunks in the area around the house. Hopefully, this will make a difference.


The chipmunk explosion this years isn't just happening to us, but its across the north east. Hopefully next year Erika's garden will rebound next year and me and the chipmunks will have a truce.

No comments: